Friday 3 September 2010

nothing...

I've got nothing to write about today - zilch, zero, blank. But I figure if I talk about nothing long enough it might look like something when I'm done. Don't get it twisted though - talking enough about nothing doesn't suddenly make nothing turn into something. That's a fallacy we've sold ourselves for far too long - about 6,OOO years precisely (I figure the devil should not get all the credit there).

Nothing is fancy and nice too. I spent the bulk of today at work doing nothing and it sure as hell looked like I was getting a lot done. I guess nothing is contextual too Nothing looks contextual too but I figure you've got to have absolutes, right? Moreover, relativity is an abstraction that only works in physics textbooks and that only because it presents a means for our limited mental capacities to explain away a tiny fragment of the reality we can observe. I think that in the land of absolutes nothing has a clearly defined boundary. It's almost like in set theory where an empty set is a type of set but... ok, now I'm thinking I'm totally confused (apparently an empty set is something).

In any case, before we were interrupted by that unfortunate detour into set theory, nothing can't be something because if it were something it would cease to be nothing - get it!

I could quit now but I'm on a roll, why stop. So nothing exists in a clearly defined space. I think that's a wrong statement too isn't it. I mean for nothing to exist would mean nothing is something. Seriously english sucks (yes I'll blame on the language - I'm proud!). Much more than just boundaries, nothing should have none of the properties of something, I figure. Like darkness is that absense of visible light so nothing is the absense of something. I guess that would mean the presense of nothing in an object would invariable result in the deflation of the said thing. After all you need something to give structure to an object. I guess that's why the "world was void and, consequently, without shape". The really scary thing about nohing is that it's so hard to describe - I know because I just made a harsh of my attempt at it.

The one thing I'm certain of is that nothing clearly leads to chaos. If you live in nada-land long enough you lose clarity of thought. I'm not going to bother about rationalizing how or why - that's just the way it is. So, if we've sold and bought ourselves nothing for so long it's easy to see why we (I'm messed up but I figure I could share the love here) live such messed up lives? Nothing takes many forms - idle hands, drugged minds, hollywood-ish life styles (nothing is beautiful). I think nothing has a time and a purpose apart from chaos but that's a purpose that's surely out of my realm (frankly virtually all purpose is out of my hands anyway).

I don't know where this would take me but I know how it ends so let me end it. It's been a rant worthy of it's name.

In the bible, there's mention of a being that can bring order out of nothing - out of chaos (say goodbye to your dearly beloved laws of thermodynamics fellas). "In the beginning God..."

No comments: