Tuesday 28 September 2010

Presario CQ62, Lucid, Issues

A friend just got a Compaq Presario CQ62 and wanted me to help her set up ubuntu. So sunday came around and what was meant to be a 30 minute affair has turned into 3 days of...

In any case here are the issues I had and how (or links to how) I resolved them along with some info about what I tried unsuccessfully.


Sound
I tried removing ALSA and installing OSS instead. Let's just say I was fortunate enough to live through the loud beep that resulted each time I restarted the system.

Thanks to this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1532127, I was able to finally fix the sound...

- Enable backports repository and install
- sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic


Wireless
Network Manager was working but no wireless signal was received. So I took a look at dmesg and noticed there was an error message about a missing "RT2860STA.dat" so I created the missing file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" and bingo...

Other general advice...
Always create more than one partition when installing ubuntu. That way if you have to re-install you'd only have to overwrite the root partition and not your /home partition.
Also, google and then download "ubuntu tweak" - it made my life easier

No comments: