Wednesday 28 July 2010

Guess who's back...

So, I read this article today about how Nigeria is in the top 10 countries in the world in terms of internet usage. Now this would be cool except for the fact that this honour makes the dishonourable more ... (I cant find the word - let's try odious). Sometime back I ran into this other article too about how very few of the major IT firms seem to a presence in Africa. Combine those articles together and the color you get is not pleasant to behold at all... at all. The only real explanation I can think of for the lack of corresponding IT advancement has to be that we are a nation of consumers - but dont take my word for it as I'm not particularly smart.

I did write up something on my iphone (notice how the I and the P isnt autmagically capitalized?) last week but I dont really dig the whole mailing posts to your blog idea. The good news is that I've received a brand new replacement N900 from Nokia and a new battery (not free, obviously) from RadioShack. So, hopefully, the whole TGIF blogging thingy can resume. To be fair, my original N900 took quite some bashing/malhandling so I'm extremely grateful to God (and obviously, the folks at Nokia) for letting it get spoilt before the warranty expired. I get the feeling that in this its second coming, the phone would be mainly used for python scripting and reading technical material.

I came across Bernard Harris' myspace page over the weekend. I remember those days (he was in college and I in high school) when he used to amuse us with his singing - a lot of us felt, back then, that there was more shouting than singing going on. But I'm glad he still sings and I sure as hell (no swearing intended) would pick up a copy of his album when I money to spare. I always loved his singing (note I didnt say ministry) but then again I guess something has to be said for the fact that I grew up listening to Take6. The video from his MySpace page is at the bottom of this post i.e. if you are in too much of a hurry so that you can't visit his site.

money

Let's get this straight - money doesn't make you happy. It never did, it never will. I forget this sometimes, myself, when life's rat race gets the better of me and I lose sight of God. The thing is Jesus Christ, the disciples, the prophets, and a large junk of the guys in the bible were, in their own times, below middle class by earth's material standard. The real issue is that God doesn't need money to provide my every need - the cattle on a thousand hills are His and His hands are not too short nor is He hard of hearing. Yes, He can choose to bless me financial as indeed He promises that He would (along with other things too like trials o) but it's the peace of mind I have in Him and the trust in him that constitute my happiness not how much - or how little - money is in my pocket.

I just had to put say that so that instead of explaining to my friends I can tell them to come read it up here. Of course, I won't tell them that it's my blog. I also had to write it to remind myself that's not the material but the invisible that determines true happiness.


The Worshiper's Diary- Alpha and Omega

F Bernard Harris | MySpace Video

No comments: