Friday 25 June 2010

I walked today....

The days fly by so fast sometimes. It's times like this that make you appreciate the plea to God that He should teach us to number our days. Life is truly an amazing gift. Sometimes when I pause to think about it(which obviously is a rarity), I can't help apologizing to God for how I've so abused it (life that is). The way I understand it, God and I want the same thing. It's just that I have the nasty habit of not thinking it through (or thinking at all) while God apparently has already thought out all the kinks before hand. I guess that's why Jesus could offer to give life more abundant - He's not only seen it all but he understands it...

Ok! So I played whirly ball on Wednesday and I totally loved it. My thigh's still aching but I don't mind. Talking about outings there's this girl at my office that's always impressed with my impeccable taste in food. What she doesn't realize yet is that I almost always order the same thing - some kind of fish, salmon for example, along with veggies. The other thing she doesn't realize is that one of the main reasons I always cjoose the same thing is that I'm fed up with all the concortions with fancy names that these oyinbo people manage to come up with. When I first got to the states I used to want to try out everything. But where boarding school (naija style) and growing up with my grandma failed, oyinbo people have been more than a success. Now, I can claim to be allegic to food without an aorta of guilt (claim is the keyword). Reminds of this one time I was a guest of a french chef who was complaining about how american bread sucks... for the sake that I was his guest I won't comment on his french bread or even mention that it sucked too!

I'm also not going to talk about the world cup just yet. You see, my granddad raise me well. When I was a kid I so wanted to watch games and he so didn't let me. I remember now that famous phrase of his about 22 grown ups chasing one small object around and then the rest of us screaming how heads off. Now that I'm a little older, sadly, I'm turning to a grump like him. I still love football as a sport (I still play with people older than myself every other sunday) but I'm just not that worked up about stuff I'm not physically involved in - sorry!

As for the GC (if you are not adventist you can skip this rant), part of me doesnt want to see all these naija folks at the GC. They'll asking questions (and the good Lord knows I've got way too much skeletons in my wardrobe to be strutting my stuff in public - some dark secret just might slip out). More over, I dont know how the church ever came to the conclusion that holding such large meetings was a sweet idea. For once, the papacy has got this kind of stuff down to a science - only congregate when the pope dies and another one has to be chosen. Lamenting, though isn't going to change anything - the GC's started, my grandma's all worked up about it and inevitably, I'll end up greeting all these nice older folk that knew me when I was running around in diapers (apparently they almost all would mention that self-same fact).

I like me a whole lot of Jennifer Knapp. I still can't believe she's you-know-what. She has incredible talent. One author says that her old songs wont sell in this day and age because CCM has been watered down since she when her last album came out. One small problem I have with that logic is there are people like me that still like her songs even now. But then again I'm also now listening to Aaron Neville's "close your eyes". I'm so old school, it's unbelievable.

So here we have us another week. I wish it could go a little slower. There's so much I'd like to do - so much I'm not doing. Perhaps, that's a sign that I'm trying too hard. Now there's a thought.

No comments: