Sunday 4 November 2012

That pep in my step

I finally have a valid excuse for not blogging for the last 2 months but I'm not telling. I only mention that I have a valid excuse so that it would be known that I've not given up the idea of blogging just yet. Lately, I've been given them up as fast as I can though: I hardly ever touch my guitar after sabbath hours, I don't go to play soccer once a week anymore, and I sure say much shorter congenial prayers nowadays instead of ...

But I'm back! And in other news, it has come to my notice (from no less a source than the horse's mouth) that Quemi mistakenly told my best friend that I use the 'Eniola' alter-ego. You are still like a sister to me and I forgive you Quemi. After all variety is the spice of life and what would this blog be without my healthy dose of self-deprecating sarcasm, eh?!

My mum and I saw "Flight" at the movies today. It's a pretty good movie. I remember reading an interview with Denzel Washington a few years back (reproduced in Signs of the times, I believe) where he talked about the motivation behind his selection of movie scripts and how he let his Christian beliefs guide what he agreed to appear in. It's obviously been a long journey from the days of Mississippi Masala and Devil in a blue dress (or something). I joked with my mum that I was taking her to go see this one movie because there was some nudity and swearing/cussing in the movie and her opinion of Denzel would hopefully take a nose dive after seeing the movie. My mum jabbed back saying Denzel and Obama were like her first love and nothing would change that. I'd say that Denzel and Obama appear to have a similar strut/gait (swagger for my naija bros) in their steps. "Flight" is a good movie - if you get the chance see it.

Okay, I'm out of stuff to say. This is usually the part where I talk about God and how He is merciful and kind and good. And He really is all that and much more but I'll be a hypocrite if I typed one character in that regards right now. It just popped in my head that when the bible says God loves a cheerful giver it wasn't just talking about material giving (yes, I know that is the original context). Seriously, it's like Paul is saying we should strive to live cheerful lives because each day we live we give yet some things just can't be given if our live is not in the right place to start with. Phew - the lengths people (I'm looking in the mirror here) would go to to justify their own selfishness. You'd think a brother would knuckle down, pause and find a reason to be cheerful and then come share it here. No, not moi!

 I'm tired. There's work tomorrow. Sometimes I feel like the real message I want to pass across gets lost in my sarcasm and desperate attempts at dry humour. The thing is God really is good - seriously, He is!

No comments: