Friday 1 February 2013

The Maker's eye

I think I can now better understand what God felt when, after looking at the things he created he said ' it was good'. 

I have always had a creative streak, always had a love for mixing things, decorating, designing, crafts.....the list just goes on. Let me tell you a secret. Due to my background in Economics[yeah...that's my first degree] i always - most times, think of how to turn these my interests into ventures, but i dont always get to follow thru with the desire. Can say its cos, some things are just meant to bring you joy. I'm not saying they can't fill my purse with money, am just saying sometimes its not about the money, but the joy you derive from doing those things. I'm gonna stop this line of thought here, cos it feels like i might just not explain it well enough.

So back to the initial flow of thought, there's this peace that comes with accomplishment....especially when what you have done amazes people. Some can confuse this with pride, but i beg to take my own stand.For me when this happens, i feel really satisfied and pleased. Of course i would be proud of what i have done. I would want to share it with as much people, not because i want them to just go 'oooh' and 'aaah' over it, but because a curious side of me also wants to know what their take on it is. A second opinion can do good sometimes. 

Some of the things i do- decoration, craft works, sewing etc, i didn't learn the normal way. Actually, the only skill i got training for is sewing,and twas for 4mnths. So when i do something and it comes out great,by my opinion and that of many others, i am bound to be really pleased. The picture on the right is a flower vase made with beads.I paid a visit to my sister-in-law one day and she showed me what to do.After making this one, i had to write about it. I sighed when it was done and exclaimed 'it is good'. I had a taste of God's satisfaction when he freshly created the world.

Its a wonderful feeling and I have come to appreciate creativity more. Now, i look at things with more scrutiny. Not because i am being judgmental, far from it. My curiosity takes over and i wander how its maker felt after it was completed. Like a painting, i get to wonder what was running thru the mind of its painter. Take this for instance, i don't know its origin, but i happened on it and am still trying to understand its concept.

The maker's eye is keen and the mind is made. The maker's love runs deep and as long as the work comes out the desired way, he/she is pleased. It doesn't matter what is being worked on; clothes, food items, furniture, paper work, art works, buildings...etc, when its done, the smile of accomplishment on the maker's face is worth all the troubles.

Talk about God the maker. He was pleased when he made us, though sin has stained us somewhat. Still, when He looks at us, he doesn't see the stains, He sees the beauty He declared as 'good' in the beginning. Thru the maker's eye, God sees the himself in us and someday soon, He'll wear the smile of accomplishment. That's the day we finally become what he has always planned for us to be.

There's not a greater joy than seeing a reflection of yourself in your handiwork. I am glad to say I see bits of me in the things that i do and its not by my strength, but by God's help.





No comments: